Paul Stastny was among the 4 Jets who were included in the COVID protocol

Get the latest news in sports:

  • Four Jets are included in the COVID protocol, which includes Paul Stastny
  • Blue Jackets activate Alexandre Texier and Jakub Voracek under COVID protocol
  • OHL suspends four games including three Niagara IceDogs matches
  • Brazil’s men’s soccer team has removed Renan Lodi due to his vaccination status.

The Winnipeg Jets placed centre Paul Stastny, defenceman Brenden Dillion, goaltender Eric Comrie and assistant coach Wade Flaherty in COVID-19 protocol Thursday.

With 11 players and 2 coaches, this brings the total number of Jets currently in protocol to 13.

The team recalled Cole Perfetti to the taxi crew and called up Mikhail Berdin, goaltender, and forwards Jeff Malott from the AHL’s Manitoba Moose, to the taxi fleet.

The Jets are fifth in the Central Division with a 16-12-5 record, and are scheduled to play in Detroit on Thursday.

Blue Jackets place Voracek in protocol, activate Texier

On Thursday, one of the Columbus Blue Jackets was able to gain and lose one to COVID-19.

Forward Jakub Voracek was put into the NHL protocol, while forward Alexandre Texier activated from it. The 32-year-old leads the Blue Jackets in assists (24) and points (15)

Texier, 22, has 19 goals and eight assists in 30 games. He was inducted into the protocol on January 7.

The Blue Jackets start a three game road trip Thursday against the Carolina Hurricanes.

OHL postpones four games

Four more games have been postponed by the Ontario Hockey League due to COVID-19 concerns.

The league announced that three of the upcoming Niagara IceDogs games were postponed by COVID-19 protocol.

These dates affect Niagara’s home games against Barrie on Thursday and Saturday, and against Kingston on Saturday and Friday at Mississauga.

Saturday’s game at Erie (Pa.) between the Otters & Kitchener has been also postponed.

OHL has delayed 57 games this season. However, the league said that it is still committed to finishing the season, despite the difficulties posed by the Omicron variant spreading and fuelling the fourth wave of pandemics.

Some of the delayed games have since been rescheduled. Ten games were given new dates on Wednesday.

Brazil men’s soccer coach holds player out due to vaccination status

Tite left Renan Lódi out of Brazil’s World Cup qualifiers against Paraguay and Ecuador because Atletico Madrid fullback Renan Lodi had not received the full COVID-19 vaccines.

“Renan Loli was exempted from the possibility to be called up due his non-vaccination,” Tite said Thursday. He missed the chance to compete [for a place].”

Juninho Paulista is the coordinator for national teams and said that the defender had received his first vaccine Jan. 10. He was not allowed to enter Ecuador. Brazil plays Ecuador Jan. 27, then faces Paraguay at their home five days later.

He stated that Ecuador requires that all people who enter the country must be fully vaccinated.

Lodi is currently visiting Saudi Arabia, where Atletico Madrid will face Athletic Bilbao in the second semi-final.

Lodi was told by a source that he hadn’t been vaccinated before because he had contracted COVID. Lodi is based in Madrid. The waiting period to get vaccinated against the virus was six months until August for people who had previously been infected. Since then, it has been one month.