Oilers’ Connor McDavid ruled ineligible for game vs. Maple Leafs were placed in virus protocol

Get the latest news in sports:

  • McDavid and 2 other Oilers out
  • Alphonso Davies tests positive
  • OHL pledges to end season
  • More EPL postponements

Hours before Edmonton was due to face the Maple Leafs in Toronto, the Oilers announced that Connor McDavid (capitaine), forward Derek Ryan (defenseman), and Tyson Barrie (defenceman) have entered the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol.

McDavid & Ryan were both unable to practice Tuesday, after they returned positive tests.

McDavid had been negative for a blood test Monday before he played in Edmonton’s 4-1 loss at the Rangers in New York.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, forward for the Oilers, was also placed on injured reserve. Nugent-Hopkins was out of action since Saturday due to an undisclosed injury.

Oilers also announced Zack Kassian, forward, has passed COVID-19 protocols. Ilya Konovalov, goaltender, has been loaned to team’s taxi squad.

Mike Smith, Goaltender, is expected to make his return from an undisclosed injuries to the start.

Auston Matthews, Maple Leafs centre, told reporters that he was ready to play in Wednesday’s game. He had participated in practice. Matthews was unable attend Toronto’s previous two practices because he had tested positive for COVID-19 in a rapid antigen test Monday and then negative on a PCR Tuesday.

WATCH: The virus has changed the NHL schedule| NHL schedule upended by virus:

COVID-19 leaves the NHL’s playing schedule in chaos

More than 90 NHL games to date have been postponed due to COVID-19, as more players — including Toronto Maple Leafs superstar Auston Matthews — test positive. 2:12

Davies tests positive

Bayern Munich has announced that Alphonso Davis, a Canadian football star, has joined the COVID-19 list.

Bundesliga Club says that the fullback from Edmonton, aged 21, is doing well at home and seems to be self-isolating.

This COVID news comes just weeks ahead of Canada’s World Cup qualifying matches in Honduras, Hamilton (Jan. 29), and El Salvador (Feb. 2).

The Canadian men are currently ranked at 4-0-4 in the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying round. They will be playing Guatemala in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. on Jan. 22. Here.

OHL promises to complete season

As new COVID-19 regulations take effect in Ontario, the Ontario Hockey League has stated that it will finish its 2021-22 season. This includes a ban on indoor sports fans.

According to the OHL, the league’s board was meeting Wednesday morning to discuss its next steps. However, fans are not allowed to attend games in Ontario for the next three weeks.

The league stated that it is in contact with the government and public officials regarding health issues and will update you when necessary.

Ontario’s OHL arenas were limited to 1,000 people as the province battled the spread of Omicron. Fans will be banned from these buildings due to new measures implemented on Wednesday.

Ontario is home of 17 out of 20 OHL teams. The remaining three teams are based in the United States, and are not subject to any capacity limitations.

Due to COVID-19 concerns, the OHL has had to postpone 42 games.

Liverpool outbreak forces postponements

Liverpool’s coronavirus epidemic among its players and staff caused Wednesday’s match against Arsenal in English League Cup semifinals to be postponed. This was in addition to the backlog of English soccer due to the rapidly-spreading Omicron variant.

Liverpool asked the English Football League to cancel the game after it was found out that there had been a string of positive results at Liverpool, leading to the closure its training ground.

The absences and injuries for the African Cup of Nations have already impacted player availability, which has led to Liverpool losing Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah, as well as Naby Keita.

The Anfield Stadium will host the first leg of the second leg, which was originally scheduled for Thursday at Arsenal. The Emirates Stadium will host the second leg on January 20.